In Our News

What's new with us...

If anyone has a blogroll we'd love to be included!


Thursday, September 15, 2011

Nursing for Others


This is old news, it happened in 2009 but here is a photo of Salma Hayek b/f an African baby who was literally starving to death.  I just read about this on another b/f blog and immediately had to find the story.  I'm not a big fan of hers but this was an incredible gesture.  To offer yourself to nurture another woman's baby because she had no milk to give him.  This is what the cliche means "it takes a village to raise a child."  It gave me some questions...

would I donate to a human milk bank?
would I purchase from a human milk bank?
would I step in to nurse a friend or family members baby if they needed help?
what would our society say about this? 

We seem to just barely accept the sight of a mother nursing her own child.  Even with all of the education out there telling us it's best.  We are still squimish and prudish about it.  Unless the breast is there on show we don't want to see it.  Women's breasts are there for the pleasure of men right?  How would someone react if I were in public clearly b/f a child that wasn't mine?

1 comment:

Laurie said...

It was so touching that Salma nursing this baby - my heart ached when I saw the video with the baby sucking away so naturally, looking up at her thankfully. I wonder what ever became of the baby and his(?) family.

I would definitely donate to someone (the only milk bank in Canada is in BC but there is a Facebook group named "eats on feets" that connects women to one another to share their milk. I would also absolutely nurse someone else`s baby - it would be an honor.