In Our News

What's new with us...

If anyone has a blogroll we'd love to be included!


Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pump, How I Despise You


This Week’s Topic: Lame Breastfeeding Products – Things that DIDN’T work for you.

Did you buy a breastfeeding product or accessory that was totally useless? Have trouble with a particular product? Share your experiences here!

What products do I have... I have a breastfeeding pillow, a dual pump, nipple creams (two types), leak shields, nursing bras, nursing tops, ice packs, breastmilk freezer bags, bottles and bottle paraphenalia.  The only ones I could not live without are my nipple creams and my nursing tops.  I have dry skin so my nipples need ointment.  And I love nursing tops, hate the cost of them but love love love wearing them.  I love just being able to pop my boob out and no one knows. 
The biggest purchase was the pump.  I got a fairly inexpensive one but it was still $100.  I hate the pump, I hate pumping.  I do it because I just can't take Little Man everywhere.  I am greedy and like to have nights out for dinner with hubby or friends.  I'm also in a group for women who have lost children and can't take a baby with me when I go out with them.  The pillow, leak shields, bras, and ice packs are just here.  They're not great, they're not bad.  I could live without them but I don't hate them. 

On a side note, I have realized that I have never gotten a comment or even a dirty look while NIP.  I've been doing it almost daily for 5.5 months.  I have a bunch of snappy comebacks to use and haven't had the chance!  Everyone seems to either ignore me doing it or smile and look away like they are trying to give me privacy.  Why hasn't someone scowled at me or told me to put it away yet?  I live in a fairly liberal, yuppy neighbourhood (I am neither liberal nor a yuppy) and there are several children stores and coffee shops around that even go out of the way to encourage you to b/f in them.  One toy store has a whole section set up in the back with a rocking chair, pillows and change table.  Where do I need to go to get some unwanted feedback!?!?!

3 comments:

Tmuffin.com said...

I've never gotten any bad feedback from NIP either, and I am not all that discreet about it.

But I would love to hear your comeback comments that you've come up with in case you ever do get a nasty comment! That would be a great blog post!

Katrin said...

Oh, I am so relieved to find your post here. Thanks! I thought I am the only one to hate the pump (see my blog hop post "Dump my pump"). I just can't get the hang of it... It is so much work for just one meal. I can't be bothered with pumping, even though everyone tells me otherwise how easy it is and how I should do it all the time... no no no!

Naya said...

Found you through the Breastfeeding Blog Hop. No one's said anything to me about NIP either! My son and I have been doing it for 11 months(!) and I have great come backs in my head I haven't used too. We've gotten lots of looks, but no comments. Maybe people are more tolerant of it than we think...