In Our News

What's new with us...

If anyone has a blogroll we'd love to be included!


Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Breastfeeding Experience

While I was pregnant with my daughter I was so excited and looking forward to the day when I would be a nursing mom. I thought it was going to be all lollipops and roses. Boy was I wrong. Breastfeeding is hard. Lets just admit it. The first couple of weeks can be painful and tiresome. I remember being in the hospital and so excited for that first time - and then by the time I was leaving I was wincing in pain with each latch as I blistered and bled. The lactation consultant that met with me while I was in the recovery room was so helpful. She helped with a proper latch and hold and gave me the best advice ever. The phrase I say to myself to this day from her is, "You're her whole world".

When I got home I still hurt and it was not getting any better. I kept telling myself if I could just get past the first two weeks then it would be fine. I would wince with each latch and tug thinking very threatening thoughts in my mind. I knew that I could give up, but I knew that as a mother I needed to do the very best I could do for my child. I would sing the ABCs to myself or count to 10 as my daughter latched on my poor tired self.

The two weeks passed and it was better. I actually really and truly began to enjoy nursing. My child and I got into our routine and she would lay so content in my arms with a full belly and that's when I would just sit and stare at this little wonder of life.

I think we have all experienced "pregnancy brain" and it never seems to go away. Even 16 months later (and nursing strong) I still am so forgetful. One great thing about breastfeeding is you never have to remember a bottle/cup, formula, measuring cups, clean water - nothing. All you need is right there with you! The less I needed to remember to bring the better.

If you are thinking about breastfeeding, or just starting out, just know that it can be hard at first. But, you are doing great! If you need help or encouragement seek out a friend or family member that you know has breastfeeding experience. Contact your local hospital or Le Leche League. There are tons of chat rooms where nursing moms are up at wee hours of the night. I know that a few of my friends and I would chat on facebook. So give it a try - you might just like it :)

No comments: